COVID-19 SURVEY OF CR PROGRAMS GLOBALLY
Between April and June 2020 a ICCPR’s survey was administered to CR programs globally via REDCap. The 50 members of the ICCPR and personal contacts facilitated program identification. Overall, 1062 (18.3% program response rate) responses were received from 70/111 (63.1% country response rate) countries in the world with existent CR programs. Of these, 367 (49.1%) programs reported they had stopped CR delivery, and 203 (27.1%) stopped temporarily (mean=8.3±2.8 weeks).
Resources identified through the ICCPR’s survey of CR programs globally by programs are collated below (you are welcome to email us with new resources to add as they become available at email@example.com).
Click in the picture below to see some of the results. A non-peer-reviewed pre-print of the work is available at https://medrxiv.org/cgi/content/short/2020.11.11.20230045v1
See Dr Grace presenting results of this work at APCCRC20: https://www.apccrc.com/apccrc2020/vod.html#tab-2 (Nov 29, Room 1, 1st talk) 20 mins of duration.
COVID-19 RESOURCES (resources will be added regularly)
Resources from ICCPR Member Associations
CR Professionals Resources
CSANZ: Optimising Secondary Prevention and Cardiac Rehabilitation for Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease During the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Position Statement by the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand
Optimising Secondary Prevention and Cardiac Rehabilitation for Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease During the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Position Statement From the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ)
Mental Health Resources
ICCPR Webinar on adapting CR amidst COVID-19: April 24, 2020.
Heart and Stroke Canada Webinar on CR during COVID-19: April 24, 2020.
ACRA Webinar Rehab for rehab during the COVID-19 pandemic: May 15, 2020.
CCS Webinar The New “Virtual Reality”: Practical Approaches to the Delivery of Cardiac Rehabilitation Care during the COVID-19 Crisis: May 27, 2020.
CACPR Coping with COVID-19: Panel Discussion. June 24, 2020. Watch here.
Singapore Heart Foundation Risk of COVID-19 on patients with cardiovascular disease and hypertension: August 9, 2020.
1. Yeo, TJ, Wang, Y-TL, Low, TT. Have a heart during the COVID-19 crisis: Making the case for cardiac rehabilitation in the face of an ongoing pandemic. Eur J Prev Cardiol. April 2020. doi: 10.1177/2047487320915665. Click here.
2. Thomas E, Gallagher R, Grace SL. Future-proofing cardiac rehabilitation: Transitioning services to telehealth during COVID-19. Eur J Prev Cardiol 2020. Apr 23:2047487320922926. doi: 10.1177/2047487320922926. Click here.
3. Babu AS, Arena R, Ozemek C, Lavie CJ. COVID-19: A Time for Alternate Models in Cardiac Rehabilitation to Take Center Stage. Can J Cardiol 2020 Apr 25. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2020.04.023. Click here.
4. Percy E, Luc JGY, Vervoort D, et al. Post-Discharge Cardiac Care in the Era of Coronavirus 2019: How Should We Prepare? Can J Cardiol 2020. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjca.2020.04.006. Click here.
5. Neubeck L, Hansen T, Jaarsma T, et al. Delivering healthcare remotely to cardiovascular patients during COVID-19: a rapid review of the evidence. Eur J Cardiov Nurs 2020. https://doi.org/10.1177/1474515120924530. Click here.
6. Joint BACPR/BCS/BHF statement on cardiac rehabilitation services. Brit J Cardiol 2020. doi:10.5837/bjc.2020.019. Click here.
7. Khera A, Baum SJ, Gluckman TJ, et al. Continuity of Care and Outpatient Management for Patients with and at High Risk for Cardiovascular Disease during the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Scientific Statement from the American Society for Preventive Cardiology. Am J Prev Cardiol 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajpc.2020.100009. Click here.
8. Mureddu GF, Ambrosetti M, Venturini E, et al. Cardiac rehabilitation activities during the COVID-19 pandemic in Italy. Position Paper of the AICPR (Italian Association of Clinical Cardiology, Prevention and Rehabilitation). Monaldi Archives for Chest Disease. 2020. https://doi.org/10.4081/monaldi.2020.1439. Click here.
9. Moulson N, Bewick D, Selway T, et al. Cardiac rehabilitation during COVID-19 era: guidance on implementing virtual care. CJC Open. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjca.2020.06.006. Click here.
10. Wilhelm M, Hansen D, Voller H, et al. The future is now: a call for action for cardiac telerehabilitation in the COVID-19 pandemic from the secondary prevention and rehabilitation section of the European Association of Preventive Cardiology. Eur J Prev Cardiol. https://doi.org/10.1177/2047487320939671. Click here.
11. Martynova V, Andreev D, Giverts I, et al. First experience with video-guided home-based exercise training for patients with stable coronary artery disease after elective percutaneous coronary interventions. Eur J Prev Cardiol 2020. https://doi.org/10.1177/2047487320940106. Click here.
12. Mureddu GF, Giallauria F, Venturini E, Fattirolli F, Ambrosetti M. Cardiologia riabilitativa e prevenzione secondaria durante la pandemia COVID-19: stato dell'arte e prospettive [Cardiac rehabilitation and secondary prevention programs during the COVID-19 pandemic: what's "COVID on"?]. G Ital Cardiol (Rome). 2020;21(7):527-528. doi:10.1714/3386.33640. Click here.
13. Duffy EY, Cainzos-Achirica M, Michos ED. Primary and Secondary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease in the Era of the Coronavirus Pandemic. Circulation. 2020;141(24):1943-1945. doi:10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.120.047194. Click here.
14. Vigorito C, Faggiano P, Mureddu GF. COVID-19 pandemic: what consequences for cardiac rehabilitation?. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis. 2020;90(1):10.4081/monaldi.2020.1315. Published 2020 Apr 16. doi:10.4081/monaldi.2020.1315. Click here.
15. Peters RJG. Cardiac rehabilitation and telemedicine (and COVID-19). Neth Heart J. 2020;28(9):441-442. doi:10.1007/s12471-020-01473-3. Click here.
16. Nicholls SJ, Nelson M, Astley C, et al. Optimising Secondary Prevention and Cardiac Rehabilitation for Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease During the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Position Statement From the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ). Heart Lung Circ. 2020;29(7):e99-e104. doi:10.1016/j.hlc.2020.04.007. Click here.
17. Kemps HMC, Brouwers RWM, Cramer MJ, et al. Recommendations on how to provide cardiac rehabilitation services during the COVID-19 pandemic. Neth Heart J. 2020;28(7-8):387-390. doi:10.1007/s12471-020-01474-2. Click here.
18. Drwal KR, Forman DE, Wakefield BJ, El Accaoui RN. Cardiac Rehabilitation During COVID-19 Pandemic: Highlighting the Value of Home-Based Programs [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jun 17]. Telemed J E Health. 2020;10.1089/tmj.2020.0213. doi:10.1089/tmj.2020.0213. Click here.
19. Besnier F, Gayda M, Nigam A, Juneau M, Bherer L. Cardiac Rehabilitation During Quarantine in COVID-19 Pandemic: Challenges for Center-Based Programs [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jun 27]. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020;S0003-9993(20)30388-9. doi:10.1016/j.apmr.2020.06.004. Click here.
20. Scherrenberg M, Frederix I, De Sutter J, Dendale P. Use of cardiac telerehabilitation during COVID-19 pandemic in Belgium [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jun 30]. Acta Cardiol. 2020;1-4. doi:10.1080/00015385.2020.1786625. Click here.
21. Schmidt C, Magalhães S, Barreira A, Ribeiro F, Fernandes P, Santos M. Cardiac rehabilitation programs for heart failure patients in the time of COVID-19. Rev Port Cardiol. 2020;39(7):365-366. doi:10.1016/j.repc.2020.06.012. Click here.
22. Ribeiro F, Santos M. Rehabilitación cardiaca basada en el ejercicio en tiempos de COVID-19: un pequeño paso para los sistemas de salud, un gran salto para los pacientes [Exercise-based cardiac rehabilitation in COVID-19 times: one small step for health care systems, one giant leap for patients]. Rev Esp Cardiol. 2020 Nov;73(11):969-970. Spanish. doi: 10.1016/j.recesp.2020.06.040. Epub 2020 Aug 28. PMID: 32904435; PMCID: PMC7455143. Click here.
23. Keech A, Way K, Holgate K, Fildes J, Indraratna P, Yu J. HIIT for post-COVID patients within cardiac rehabilitation: Response to letter to the editor [published online ahead of print, 2020 Aug 31]. Int J Cardiol. 2020;S0167-5273(20)33713-X. doi:10.1016/j.ijcard.2020.08.086. Click here.
24. Cheng YY, Chen CM, Huang WC, et al. Rehabilitation programs for patients with COronaVIrus Disease 2019: consensus statements of Taiwan Academy of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation [published online ahead of print, 2020 Aug 17]. J Formos Med Assoc. 2020;S0929-6646(20)30389-2. doi:10.1016/j.jfma.2020.08.015. Click here.
25. Nakayama A, Takayama N, Kobayashi M, et al. Remote cardiac rehabilitation is a good alternative of outpatient cardiac rehabilitation in the COVID-19 era. Environ Health Prev Med. 2020;25(1):48. Published 2020 Sep 5. doi:10.1186/s12199-020-00885-2. Click here.
26. Marzolini S, Ghisi GLM, Hebert AA, Ahden S, Oh P. Cardiac rehabilitation in Canada during COVID-19. CJC Open. Published 2020 Oct 3. doi:10.1016/j.cjco.2020.09.021. Click here.
27. Dawkes S. Supporting cardiac patients during the COVID-19 pandemic. British Journal of Cardiac Nursing 2020; 15:5, 1-4. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjca.2020.0048. Click here.
28. Murphy BM, Higgins RO, Jackson AC. The mental health burden of COVID-19 on cardiac healthcare workers and their patients. British Journal of Cardiac Nursing 2020. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjca.2020.0129. Click here.
29. Topol EJ. COVID-19 can affect the heart. Science. 2020 Oct 23;370(6515):408-409. doi: 10.1126/science.abe2813. Click here.
30. Peters RJG. Cardiac rehabilitation and telemedicine (and COVID-19). Neth Heart J. 2020 Sep;28(9):441-442. doi: 10.1007/s12471-020-01473-3. PMID: 32671651. Click here.
31. Hermann M, Pekacka-Egli AM, Witassek F, Baumgaertner R, Schoendorf S, Spielmanns M. Feasibility and Efficacy of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation After COVID-19. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2020 Oct;99(10):865-869. doi: 10.1097/PHM.0000000000001549. PMID: 32732746. Click here.
32. Scott-Sheldon LAJ, Gathright EC, Wu WC. Promoting Social Connectedness among Cardiac Rehabilitation Patients During the COVID-19 Pandemic and Beyond. R I Med J (2013). 2020 Nov 2;103(9):34-35. PMID: 33126785. Click here.
33. Riley H, Stabile L, Wu WC. Transition to Home-Based Treatment Plans for Center-Based Cardiac, Pulmonary, and Vascular Rehabilitation during COVID-19. R I Med J (2013). 2020 Nov 2;103(9):30-33. PMID: 33126784. Click here.
34. Galiuto L, Crea F. Let Us Not Forget Cardiovascular Diseases During COVID-19 Pandemic: the Role of Cardiac Prevention and Rehabilitation. SN Compr Clin Med. 2020 Jul 10:1-4. doi: 10.1007/s42399-020-00391-0. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32838162. Click here.
35. Scherrenberg M, Falter M, Dendale P. Patient experiences and willingness-to-pay for cardiac telerehabilitation during the first surge of the COVID-19 pandemic: single-centre experience. Acta Cardiol. 2020 Nov 13:1-7. doi: 10.1080/00015385.2020.1846920. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33183162. Click here.
36. Leochico CFD, Espiritu AI, Ignacio SD, Mojica JAP. Challenges to the Emergence of Telerehabilitation in a Developing Country: A Systematic Review. Front Neurol. 2020 Sep 8;11:1007. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2020.01007. PMID: 33013666; PMCID: PMC7505991. Click here.
37. Grossman GB, Sellera CAC, Hossri CAC, Carreira LTF, Avanza AC Jr, Albuquerque PF, Milani M, Mastrocola LE, Ritt LEF, Freitas OGA, Carvalho T, Chalela WA, Ghorayeb N, Meneghelo RS, Nunes MB, Serra SM. Position Statement of the Brazilian Society of Cardiology Department of Exercise Testing, Sports Exercise, Nuclear Cardiology, and Cardiovascular Rehabilitation (DERC/SBC) on Activities Within its Scope of Practice During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2020 Aug 28;115(2):284-291. Portuguese, English. doi: 10.36660/abc.20200797. PMID: 32876199. Click here.
38. Volpe M, Battistoni A; board of the Italian Society of Cardiovascular Prevention, Bellotti P, Bellone S, Bertolotti M, Biffi A, Consoli A, Corsini A, Desideri G, Ferri C, Modena MG, Nati G, Pirro M, Rubattu S, Tocci G, Trimarco B, Volpe R, de Kreutzenberg SV. Recommendations for Cardiovascular Prevention During the Sars-Cov-2 Pandemic: An Executive Document by the Board of the Italian Society of Cardiovascular Prevention. High Blood Press Cardiovasc Prev. 2020 Oct;27(5):373-377. doi: 10.1007/s40292-020-00401-1. Epub 2020 Jul 30. PMID: 32734561. Click here.
39. Roifman I, Arora RC, Bewick D, Chow CM, Clarke B, Cowan S, Ducharme A, Gin K, Graham M, Gupta A, Hardiman S, Hartleib M, Jackson S, Jassal D, Kazmi M, Lamarche Y, Légaré JF, Leong-Poi H, Mansour S, Marelli A, Ruel M, Small G, Sterns L, Turgeon R, Virani S, Wijeysundera HC, Wong K, Wood DA, Zieroth S, Singh G, Krahn AD. Cardiovascular care delivery during the second wave of COVID-19 in Canada. Can J Cardiol. 2020 Dec 9:S0828-282X(20)31117-X. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2020.11.016. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33307163. Click here.
40. Thamman R, Janardhanan R. Cardiac rehabilitation using telemedicine: the need for tele cardiac rehabilitation. Rev Cardiovasc Med. 2020 Dec 30;21(4):497-500. doi: 10.31083/j.rcm.2020.04.201. PMID: 33387993. Click here.
The content above was created by organizations outside ICCPR and we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information and content found on these sites.
About the association
The International Council of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation (ICCPR) was created in 2010 to bring together associations dedicated to the promotion of cardiovascular disease prevention and cardiac rehabilitation globally. Named Board member from each associations serve on our Council, which meets quarterly. ICCPR is an Associate International Member of the World Heart Federation.
Copyright © 2010 International Council of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation (ICCPR). All Rights Reserved.